On Air Personality
More about Alan Khan
Host of the award winning WALK THE TALK with Alan Khan
About Alan Khan :
I started my radio romance in 1990, when I got an opportunity to try out as a trainee radio presenter at Capital Radio 604. And for the last 29 years, I have loved being a part of the South African radio family. Radio has also allowed me to meet the love of my life. On Tuesday 10 September 1996, I interviewed sociologist Mariam Seedat about street children in Durban - and the upcoming census of Durban’s homeless citizens. It was love at first sight and six months later, I married Mariam. In 2020 we celebrate our 23rd wedding anniversary. Mariam and I have been blessed with amazing two sons, Nasser and Ameer.
Radio Experience & Progression:
I started off at TNT campus radio when I was a Chiropractic student in Durban. Destiny then intervened and I was extremely lucky to join the Capital Radio 604 family, followed by a 10 year stay at East Coast Radio. I was humbled by my appointment as CEO of Jacaranda FM in December 2006 and my family and I relocated to Gauteng. Eventually, I got my opportunity to join the national broadcaster when Lotus FM invited me to host Walk the Talk in 2013. It's been an incredible journey and one that I am thankful and grateful for on a daily basis. I can’t believe that the time has flown by so quickly. The SABC has been a good home for me. I was inducted into the South African Radio Hall of Fame in 2015 and then, two years later, Walk the Talk with Alan Khan won Best News & Actuality Talk Show (PBS) at the 2017 Liberty South African Radio Awards.
I studied Journalism at Technikon Natal (DUT), I have a Post-Graduate qualification in Management Development from the Graduate School of Business at UKZN and I successfully completed the National Association of Broadcasters (USA) Radio Management Programme at Georgetown University in Washington DC.
- Winner “Best News & Actuality Talk Show PBS” at the 2017 Liberty South African Radio Awards.
- Inducted into the South African Radio Hall of Fame – April 2015.
- Silver Tusk Alumni awardee (DUT) for Outstanding Achievement.
- Member of the Laureus World Sports Award Selection Committee for 10 years
- Director of the India South Africa Business Forum..
- Trustee of the Engineering Educational Trust (EET).
- One of only two men in the country to be invited to join the Businesswomen’s Association of South Africa.
- Hosted the World Travel Awards, the African Renaissance Gala Banquet, the BRICS International Film Awards, the Durban International Film Festival Awards, the KZN Top Business Awards, Programme Director at President Nelson Mandela’s 83rd Birthday, amongst many other events since 1990.
- Former Ambassador of Childline.
- Former Board member of the NGO, Women & Men Against Child Abuse.
- Former Deputy Managing Director of East Coast Radio.
- Former Chief Executive Officer of Jacaranda FM.
I am a lifelong fan of Everton FC.
I love watching and talking football with my sons.
I’m also a keen amateur photographer and I love gadgets.
I hope that my darling wife Mariam is reading this and buys a DJI OSMO 2 for my next birthday present…
General Facts :
In 1997, ELLE Magazine named me one of South Africa’s most eligible bachelors. A month later, I got married! I have reduced vision in my right eye but I have never allowed this to get in the way of my dreams. From playing cricket in school to hosting an award-winning talk show on Lotus FM, I am proof that we can overcome our challenges and achieve our goals…
On Air Personalities
Search by typing presenter name
Pastor Shirley Naicker
Dees Naidu RJ
Krsna Priya Dasa
Goolam Bhai Azad
Maya Jagjivan Kalicharan